AROnline and Autocade go into collaboration

The world’s finest free online car cyclo­pædia, Autocade, and AROnline are entering into a new collaboration. The Autocade website is a rapidly growing online resource that details well over 1000 cars from around the world. It’s the brainchild of New Zealander Jack Yan, founder and publisher of Lucire, a fashion magazine that made the move from web to print, as well as brand consultant and businessman, and it’s hoped that it will grow to encompass every post-war car.

Autocade has already be included in the AROnline family by the addition of a link to the website on the main navigation panel to your left. However, I will also be contributing to the project by adding cars along the way and, hopefully, helping Jack to achieve his dream of building the biggest and best car database on the Internet.

Anyway, feel free to poke around, have a play and search for your favourite cars, then post your own suggestions here. We’ll add these cars as we go along and are relishing the challenge ahead.

Posted in: AROnline Blogs

Created in 2001 and watched it steadily grow into AROnline. Is the Editor of Classic Car Weekly, and has contributed to various motoring titles including Octane, Evo, Honest John, CAR magazine, Autocar, Diesel Car, Practical Performance Car, Performance French Car, Car Mechanics, Jaguar World Monthly, Classic Car Weekly, MG Enthusiast, Modern MINI, Practical Classics, Fifth Gear Website, and the the Motoring Independent... Likes 'conditionally challenged' motors and taking them on unfeasable adventures all across Europe.

11 Comments on "AROnline and Autocade go into collaboration"

1. Jack Yan Jack Yan says:

Looking forward to working with you on this, Keith!

2. Will says:

Interesting, but will this not end up as a duplication of what is already available on Wikipedia?

Autocade looks good, though – I learnt from it that the Honda Accord used the Rover L-Series diesel.

However, some of my own more interesting previous drives are absent such as the Alfa Romeo GTV and the Citroen Xantia (which does have a link off the Daewoo Espero!).

Nah, it’s much different to Wikipedia. It’s properly edited and laid out and all the facts are checked for accuracy.

Nice one lads! This is going to be such a valuable source of information – I can’t wait!

I have struggled for years, until recently, to get more information on cars from behind the ‘Iron Curtain’ and bizarrely over ‘The Pond’! I also like all the ‘Local’ versions of cars we take for granted here in the UK/EU, like the Fiesta with a saloon style boot in India.

I therefore say go for it – it’s going to be a fascinating project.

5. Jack Yan Jack Yan says:

We will get there – being very much a spare-time thing and largely (till now) solely my own work, it’s not been easy to get everything on to the site. A great deal of it was about which models took my fancy or which reference books I took to the office. That is not to say I don’t fancy the GTV…

6. Jack Yan Jack Yan says:

@Simon Woodward
    Cheers, Simon! I have tried to put in some oddities since information on them was lacking, such as the Korean Camina or the Beijing BJ750. I’m glad you have spotted a few of them (e.g. the booted Fiesta is referred to but not shown).

It’s not been easy and almost all the references I’ve used are offline ones, which has slowed the process down but, I believe, kept the accuracy up.

7. Jack Yan Jack Yan says:

@Keith Adams
    I’ve now noticed Wikipedia referencing us – I imagine the question is whether Wikipedia will wind up as a duplicate of Autocade! 🙂

@Jack Yan
    I think that, in time, we’ll all end up referencing each other. I did start on an AROnline WIKI but it didn’t really work out for us.

9. Jack Yan Jack Yan says:

@Keith Adams
    Hopefully, the correct data will be propagated (which is one reason I started Autocade), though I have noticed that, in one place, Wikipedia references us but introduces an error in its own text!

@Jack Yan
    I have just found some pictures of the booted Fiesta on but the model is called an Ikon.