Classics : My next project? Or yours?

Alfa Romeo Alfasud

Alfa Romeo Alfasud

Now my Rover SD1 is well on its way back to recovery, there’s the thorny issue of my Alfasud. It’s been languishing in storage now for about three years and I really must do something about it. Although it’s not too evident from this shot, the whole thing was welded up to within an inch of its life, then MoT’d… and I ended up driving it once before putting it into storage for the winter.

That was three years ago so now the question is – do I pull it out, get it running again, MoT it and use it? MoT and sell it? Or sell it as is? Thing is when I had it, I really enjoyed it – but it was around before I bought my SD1 and I suspect that, had the SD1 been in my life back then, I’d probably not have bought it.

However, one thing buying the ‘Sud did prove to me was that they are just as good as everyone says they are. Even though this one’s a fairly undesirable four-door version with plastic bumpers, there’s still something rather magical about the way it drives… and part of me wants to find that out again. Hmm.

Anyway, with the car still safely languishing in storage and probably a clutch slave cylinder, some brake pads and a coil away from an MoT, I am now starting to wonder and focus (not a Focus!) on what I need, so someone please save me from myself!

Alfasud: not far from being back on the road?

Alfasud: not far from being back on the road?

Editor and creator AROnline at AROnline

Latest posts by Keith Adams (see all)

Posted in: AROnline Blogs

Created www.austin-rover.co.uk in 2001 and built it to become the world's foremost reference source for all things BMC, Leyland and Rover Group, before renaming it AROnline in 2007. Is the Editor of the Parkers website and price guide, formerly editor of Classic Car Weekly, and launch editor/creator of Modern Clsssics magazine. Has contributed to various motoring titles including Octane, Practical Classics, Evo, Honest John, CAR magazine, Autocar, Pistonheads, Diesel Car, Practical Performance Car, Performance French Car, Car Mechanics, Jaguar World Monthly, MG Enthusiast, Modern MINI, Practical Classics, Fifth Gear Website, Radio 4, and the the Motoring Independent... Likes 'conditionally challenged' motors and taking them on unfeasable adventures all across Europe.

16 Comments on "Classics : My next project? Or yours?"

Keep it! Keep it! Keep it!

I’ve always wanted one of these and, like most non-exotic 70s Italian cars, there’s not many left. From memory, the one that used to race down my road every morning when I was going to school sounded gorgeous!

No doubt you saw what Clarkson and Hammond did to a poor old Lancia Beta coupe last weekend? Your ‘Sud could be next…

You know it makes sense!

2. James Anness says:

I’d keep it, due to it being rare and interesting 🙂

SELL IT!

Why keep a car you have not driven in 3 years?

4. darren says:

Any car that’s stands out from the BORING modern cars is worth keeping if possible.
    If its not costing you too much to keep, then keep hold of it.
    I have always wanted an Alfa. Even though i hear that they can be a pain the A*se to own but such great fun to drive.
    Surley driving should be fun ?

5. ShiMTonkey says:

Definitely get rid, it will drain your bank account.

6. Rhyds says:

Unless it has 17 layers each of waxoyl, red oxide and underseal on it I’d leave it where it is until spring. Otherwise get an MOT on it and USE THE THING. That car’s been built to be used, not shut up in a garage. As has been said good Suds are very rare and if you do sell it you should get a decent price.

7. Will says:

If you want rid of it, try the guys on the Alfa Owner forum http://www.alfaowner.com , someone there will cherish your little red Sud.

8. Scott Hume says:

As a fellow Alfa owner (a flat four 33 Cloverleaf) I say fix it up, give it a good service, MOT it and get on your favourite road. Open up the taps on those twin Dell’Ortos and remeber what it’s like driving a car with REAL character, with a sound track to match!

9. Stewart says:

I just love these cars!!, pity about the build quality, rust and electrical issues… hmm reminds me of somthing….

10. Foo Kinuta says:

But they do rust….and how.

11. Tony says:

Along with the Sd1 you have you’re interested in my kind of cars:)

I like Alfasuds especially that flat four engine. Makes a wonderful wasp like rasp and feels great as well! Never bought one (never found one with a half sound body) but had a few Alfa 33s – I guess they share the same barmy driving position and grauchy first to second gear! If you are in the mood this car is an antidepressant.

In an ideal world i’d have a garage full of interesting oldies like this.

The bad thing about having a random page facility on my website is seeing pages like this. Two and half years later, I still have this car, and it’s still not moved…

13. Triomatic Triomatic says:

Ah come on – get this one out and get it back on the road!

14. Paul says:

Hang on to it. I used to have one and a half (my brother had too, and the middle one we shared), got rid of it and still regret letting them go.

15. Hilton D says:

My old Boss (bless him) had one of these as his company car in the late 70s. Can’t remember the engine and trim but I was allowed to drive it occasionally and it drove well and felt nippy… it was solid red too

16. Yorkie says:

Keith pull your flippin finger out, and get this Sud on the road will yer!