MGF : Farewell my lovely

Driving the MGF to its new owner

Driving the MGF to its new owner

Well, it didn’t last long. My period of MGF ownership lasted a matter of weeks and, if I’m honest, I’m pretty sad to see the old girl go. Unfortunately, sometimes, space gets in the way –  that and the need for some practicality.

However, in those few short weeks, I came to the conclusion that I’d like another open-topped MG. I’m not sure it’d be an MGF, though. After my time with a late model TF 85th Anniversary edition, I think I’d prefer one of those.  Mind you, given that that you can pick up one of these babies for under £1000 and you’ll get an awful lot of smiles per mile in the process, I can understand anyone going for an F and having it as a weekend tool.

Anyway, I’ll stick with my SD1 for now – well, that and the Alfa Romeo 156 I’m going to pick up in a couple of weeks or so as a ‘sensible’ long distance hack. The 156’s the same money as the MGand, as you can see, I do get rather a lot more…

It's goodbye from me.

It's goodbye from me.

...and hello to me.

...and hello to me.

Posted in: AROnline Blogs

Created in 2001 and watched it steadily grow into AROnline. Is the Editor of Classic Car Weekly, and has contributed to various motoring titles including Octane, Evo, Honest John, CAR magazine, Autocar, Diesel Car, Practical Performance Car, Performance French Car, Car Mechanics, Jaguar World Monthly, Classic Car Weekly, MG Enthusiast, Modern MINI, Practical Classics, Fifth Gear Website, and the the Motoring Independent... Likes 'conditionally challenged' motors and taking them on unfeasable adventures all across Europe.

8 Comments on "MGF : Farewell my lovely"

1. D Rose says:

I can’t help but think that, if you want fun and practicality, you should have gone for a Rover 200 Coupe. I was looking for a cheap MGF when I suddenly realised I’ve got two kids so I bought a coupe instead – it’s the best £1200 I ever spent.

@D Rose
    Good condition 200 Coupes are really cheap. I think values will climb in time – they are a very smart looking car.

That’s a nice South Birmingham number plate on the Alfa.

4. Paul McFarlane says:

The MGF – especially the VVC version – is, to my mind, currently the ideal sports car purchase.

I recently bought one with a good service history and long MoT for well under £1000 as a daily driver – it handles well, is comfortable and has a usable boot. Mine is in far better condition when compared to similarly priced Mazda MX5s and parts are widely available at affordable/secondhand prices. I have owned many sports cars but would put the F at the top of the list!

I also recently managed to acquire a rubber-bumpered MG Midget for under £1000, once again with history and long MoT. I really do think that these MG models represent the most affordable entry into open-topped sports car ownership. Here comes the summer!

Ah, the lovely Alfa Romeo 156 – my car of choice (although I do wish it wouldn’t keep blowing sidelight bulbs).

I’ll be interested to hear how you get on with it – I assume that it’s a Twin Spark of some description. I drove a 166 2.0 Twin Spark around for a week whilst my 156 was having some bodywork done and, fuel consumption aside (I have a 1.9 JTDM Sportwagon), it was a great drive.

Anyway, enjoy – if you’re like me, you’ll look back at the wonderful styling every time you park it… I hope it has leather seats too!

6. Brian says:

@Simon Hodgetts
    The 156 which Keith will be getting is a V6 and has light grey Momo leather…

Kudos! That’s a good choice!

8. Tim_Burgess Tim Burgess says:

I love the Alfa Romeo 156 but allowed myself to be put off by stories of mechanical failure and bits falling off. I ended up buying a Honda Accord Coupe and the gearbox imploded after six months.

I totally agree that the 200 Coupe makes a practical fun car. I still regret selling mine. Do you still have the British Racing Green Coupe lurking somewhere Keith?