Carole Nash Classic Insurance Specialists

MGF : Farewell my lovely

Driving the MGF to its new owner

Driving the MGF to its new owner

Well, it didn’t last long. My period of MGF ownership lasted a matter of weeks and, if I’m honest, I’m pretty sad to see the old girl go. Unfortunately, sometimes, space gets in the way –  that and the need for some practicality.

However, in those few short weeks, I came to the conclusion that I’d like another open-topped MG. I’m not sure it’d be an MGF, though. After my time with a late model TF 85th Anniversary edition, I think I’d prefer one of those.  Mind you, given that that you can pick up one of these babies for under £1000 and you’ll get an awful lot of smiles per mile in the process, I can understand anyone going for an F and having it as a weekend tool.

Anyway, I’ll stick with my SD1 for now – well, that and the Alfa Romeo 156 I’m going to pick up in a couple of weeks or so as a ‘sensible’ long distance hack. The 156’s the same money as the MGand, as you can see, I do get rather a lot more…

It's goodbye from me.

It's goodbye from me.

...and hello to me.

...and hello to me.

Posted in: AROnline Blogs

8 Comments on "MGF : Farewell my lovely"

1. D Rose says:

I can’t help but think that, if you want fun and practicality, you should have gone for a Rover 200 Coupe. I was looking for a cheap MGF when I suddenly realised I’ve got two kids so I bought a coupe instead – it’s the best £1200 I ever spent.

@D Rose
    Good condition 200 Coupes are really cheap. I think values will climb in time – they are a very smart looking car.

That’s a nice South Birmingham number plate on the Alfa.

4. Paul McFarlane says:

The MGF – especially the VVC version – is, to my mind, currently the ideal sports car purchase.

I recently bought one with a good service history and long MoT for well under £1000 as a daily driver – it handles well, is comfortable and has a usable boot. Mine is in far better condition when compared to similarly priced Mazda MX5s and parts are widely available at affordable/secondhand prices. I have owned many sports cars but would put the F at the top of the list!

I also recently managed to acquire a rubber-bumpered MG Midget for under £1000, once again with history and long MoT. I really do think that these MG models represent the most affordable entry into open-topped sports car ownership. Here comes the summer!

Ah, the lovely Alfa Romeo 156 – my car of choice (although I do wish it wouldn’t keep blowing sidelight bulbs).

I’ll be interested to hear how you get on with it – I assume that it’s a Twin Spark of some description. I drove a 166 2.0 Twin Spark around for a week whilst my 156 was having some bodywork done and, fuel consumption aside (I have a 1.9 JTDM Sportwagon), it was a great drive.

Anyway, enjoy – if you’re like me, you’ll look back at the wonderful styling every time you park it… I hope it has leather seats too!

6. Brian says:

@Simon Hodgetts
    The 156 which Keith will be getting is a V6 and has light grey Momo leather…

@Brian
    Kudos! That’s a good choice!

8. Tim_Burgess Tim Burgess says:

I love the Alfa Romeo 156 but allowed myself to be put off by stories of mechanical failure and bits falling off. I ended up buying a Honda Accord Coupe and the gearbox imploded after six months.

I totally agree that the 200 Coupe makes a practical fun car. I still regret selling mine. Do you still have the British Racing Green Coupe lurking somewhere Keith?