News : Updated: AROnline Rover SD1 for sale

This Rover 3500 is for sale through AROnline. (Picture: Richard Gunn)

This Rover 3500 is for sale through AROnline. (Picture: Richard Gunn)

The Rover SD1 that’s featured so prominently in these pages since 2006 is now going up for sale.

For those who have not been following the story, here are some highlights.

It’s a 3500, five-speed manual model, registered in August 1976, and currently has 50,000 miles on the odometer. It’s MoT’d until April 2012 and taxed until the end of the year. Mechanically it’s top notch with no real issues that we can think of, having been thoroughly recommissioned following its full body restoration. Jobs that have been done in the past year include new brakes front and rear, fluid and filter changes, electrical overhaul, new tyres all-round), and countless other jobs which you will find documented via the Polish Rover SD1 section of AROnline.

As well as that, the body has been subjected to a full body restoration carried out in Poland. It was been stripped back to bare metal and was treated to a top quality respray, which is near-flawless. Any rust or corrosion was comprehensively dealt with, either through the fitment of brand new Rimmer Bros panels, the creation of new panels, or cutting out and replacing with lead. Again, it’s all documented on-site through the restoration story on this website.

The only jobs that need doing are the relining of the interior C-posts and headlining.

The price is £4750 or near offer, which is top-book for an SD1, but a near unique opportunity to own one of these early ‘single strap’ models in such excellent condition. Interesting trade-ins are positively encouraged, too!

For more information, or a trial, drop us a line on kadams@aronline.co.uk or by using the Feedback form below.

Created www.austin-rover.co.uk in 2001 and built it to become the world's foremost reference source for all things BMC, Leyland and Rover Group, before renaming it AROnline in 2007. Is the Editor of the Parkers website and price guide, formerly editor of Classic Car Weekly, and launch editor/creator of Modern Clsssics magazine. Has contributed to various motoring titles including Octane, Practical Classics, Evo, Honest John, CAR magazine, Autocar, Pistonheads, Diesel Car, Practical Performance Car, Performance French Car, Car Mechanics, Jaguar World Monthly, MG Enthusiast, Modern MINI, Practical Classics, Fifth Gear Website, Radio 4, and the the Motoring Independent... Likes 'conditionally challenged' motors and taking them on unfeasable adventures all across Europe.

40 Comments on "News : Updated: AROnline Rover SD1 for sale"

1. David 3500 says:

It is sad to see this example up for sale Keith, after the long and adventurous journey both man and machine have been on over the past six years. Apart from a similar condition SD1 Vitesse twin-plenum finished in black and sporting an E’ registration, I can’t think of another example that is so desirable.

What will fill the enormous hole it will leave in your life when it is sold, Keith? Any thoughts yet?

Hi David

Strange thing is, I am going to get another SD1, and I have a lovely one in mind. But I also want something new and different to really get my teeth into 🙂

/K

3. Andrew-P AndrewP says:

Could be intetested in this as a second car for the family. Will think about it and discuss with the wife.

Out of curiosity what is classic car insurance on this and how scary is economy.

This must be one of the best, if not the best, early SD1s out there. You will miss it.

I pay £150 a year to insure it – along with three other ‘classics’. As for fuel consumption – 25mpg on a run, around 20mpg in town…

/K

5. Sam Skelton says:

Tell us more about the replacement!

Sad to see you are selling it, but intrigued to see what you replace it with. Hope it’s a metallic green V8-S on a ‘V’ reg plate with gold alloys and brown leather trim???!!!!

7. johnos1984 says:

Keith, you’re as mad as a box of frogs

8. Howard says:

Can’t be many of these early pre78 SD1 Rovers left.Hope it goes to a good home.TOMORROW TODAY!!

Incidentally, what does ‘single strap’ mean?

10. Howard says:

The very early SD1 models had a ‘single strap’ for the rear parcel shelf.

11. Darren, Lancs says:

Sorry to see your selling the SD1 Keith.
    I wish i could afford to buy it myself.
    Oh well, I hope she goes to a good home.

12. Mike Humble mike humble says:

Such a shame mate, but I’m pleased you have made up your mind in the end.

Look forward to the “farewell” drive at the weekend?

13. Sally says:

You can get much better than 25 on a run out of a well tuned SD1! I can only assume that is a symptom of your right foot Keith…. :-))

14. Eric van Spelde says:

Put a 4.6 on GEMS management in it and you’ll see MPG in the low/mid thirties… 😉

15. Tim_Burgess Tim Burgess says:

What a shock! I really thought that you’d keep this car a long time. The replacement is going to have to be something really special.

Mind you, I’m getting the wanderlust. I’ve had my current 75 nearly 6 years and I’ve run out of things to do to it. I really fancy a ZT before all the good ones disappear.

16. David 3500 says:

Tim Burgess – “Run out of things to do with it [your Rover 75]”? How about enjoy driving what is a very stylish, well built and thoroughly agreeable car? A car that, unlike the MG ZT, has a real sense of occasion and majesty about it. A sense of luxurious wellbeing about the cabin ambience and a ride quality that is cossetting.

In ten years’ time good condition Rover 75s that have not been mollested or given a good thrashing will become much harder to find. Above all, enjoy driving it.

17. Jason18tc says:

Must remember to buy a lottery ticket this weekend….

Keith, that photo of your SD1/3500 looks great! A shame you are going to sell after all the extensive and time consuming restoration. I hope it goes to a caring home.

Incidentally I’ve just sold my under 4 year old Focus for less than £5,000 p/x. So to my mind £5,500 for your Rover is an investment.

@Howard – thanks for clearing that up!

20. Two R8s says:

How about sticking a spoiler on the back to make it look a little sportier?

21. Tony says:

A beautiful example I wish that I could afford. Hope it goes to a good home and you find a suitably intriguing replacement

22. Dan says:

…how about the only Hongqi Mingshi (Chinese 1982 Audi 100) in the UK ?
    I`ll get me coat.

23. Steve Bailey says:

Lot of car for the money. Surprised it’s not worth more to be honest. A Capri Injection that’s been thrashed throughout the Eighties would fetch that.

24. David Dawson says:

How can you bring yourself to sell it, Keith?

25. Richard B says:

Very nice car, very nice price.

26. Spud you Like says:

Oh how could you Keith, I think we should all dip into our pockets and raise the £5,500 for Keith to keep the ol’ SD1….then he can keep the car and be £5,500 up ! Hoorah

27. Tim_Burgess Tim Burgess says:

Quote: David3500: Tim Burgess – “Run out of things to do with it [your Rover 75]“? How about enjoy driving what is a very stylish, well built and thoroughly agreeable car? A car that, unlike the MG ZT, has a real sense of occasion and majesty about it. A sense of luxurious wellbeing about the cabin ambience and a ride quality that is cossetting.

Perhaps an unfortunate choice of words – Having upgraded it and removed all traces of Project Drive what i shoud have said is that I’ve run out of things to do TO it. I do think of changing but every time I drive it those thoughts just evaporate.

28. Steve Bailey says:

People are asking how Keith can bring himself to sell it? I reckon it’s because he’s nearly finished it and he’s itching to get started on something else. Dangerously addictive, this car restoration bug!

29. Angus says:

Simon Hodgetts – “Hope it’s a metallic green V8-S on a ‘V’ reg plate with gold alloys and brown leather trim???!!!!”

Why? Do you know where there is one!????!

30. Andrew-P Andrew P says:

Missus says no – the second car has to be sensible!

Shame!!!!!

Good luck selling it. Maybe you should advertise in a classic car magazine – I understand that Octane is very good!*

I should know – I am a subscriber!

Andrew,

Thank you for paying my wages. I’ll buy you a beer sometime.

I’ll sling it in Octane soon, but I wanted to put it out via my website first… for obvious reasons 🙂

/K

32. Ianto Ianto says:

Keith, I is well sad to hear dis news. Your 3500 is a legend, and will always be part of the aronline folklore. Respec!

33. Milly says:

Keith, was your SD1 in Olney today, outside the working mans club?

If so it’s as stunning in real life as in the pictures, I just wish I had a spare £5k and a garage to take it off your hands

Hi Milly,

Yes it was… amazing that someone around here spotted it. What did you think of it?

When I was walking back to the car, I saw some girls passing it, giving it a good old look, but assumed they were not amused by the old beast 🙂

/K

35. Carsie says:

Keith,

Years ago there was a television programme called Butterflies staring Wendy Craig

When she enquired of her son in the series (by then an alleged some 21yrs old) Why he wasn’t married? he replied

“No chance! I might walk down the aisle and one with longer legs and bigger boobs might walk by!”

Alas poor Keith, I think you are suffering from this same interminable syndrome!

I have lost count of every single car that I invested my heart and soul,never mind wallet! into that has been sold with a view to the next one that I’ve “just got to have”!

Your Rover is superb!, indeed a credit to you.

Relax, enjoy it and soak up the investment that you have made in it. Enjoy the adulation, the admiration and the solace on the lonely winding A1 out of London upto Peterborough or wherever. Just enjoy what you have.

Take it from me- the grass isn’t always greener.

36. Taffy says:

Headlining needs done? oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. k s pradeep says:

DEAR SIR I HAVE GOT FEW SNAPS AND FEATURES OF DOLPHIN CAR (PUBLISHED IN OUR LOCAL DAILIES)PRODUCED HERE IN BANGALORE DECADES BACK BY THE SIPANI AUTO.I WANT TO SEND THE SAME TO YOUR END. CAN I ? BEING AN ARDENT FAN OF THE SD1 AND THIS I FEEL SORRY FOR THEIR FATE IN INDIA. ATLEAST THEY CAN BE CHERISHED FOR A WHILE THROUGH U PEOPLE.

Hi there,

No problem, please send your images. We have a page for the Sipani Dolphin, Montego and Standard 2000 – but it’s always good to get more images.

Regards
    Keith

39. John Watson says:

Hi Taffy,
    I did the headlining on mine. I got a new one in fibre glass already trimmed from Aldridge trimmers and with additional material for the sliding roof . I was dreading it and the part sat in my garage for months till I picked up the courage. It turned out to be relatively easy and what a great job it did. I see Rimmers are doing a new headlining too. Regards John

40. John Watson says:

Oops. I’ve just noted the dates on these, Sept 2011 not 2012.
    Suppose my comments are not very relevant now.