(Mike Humble has been able to obtain and compile a stock list for AROnline, which has now as been added to the end of the story).
Derek Ketteringham, the owner of the iconic frozen-in-time BL dealership on London’s North Circular Road, is to close up shop after 60 years of trading, telling AROnline that he’d ‘like to have things settled by the end of the tax year’.
The dealership (originally a Triumph site), is regarded by many enthusiasts as a sales museum which features period brochures, posters and even signage. The land is to be redeveloped into flats pending planning conformation that’s due very soon from the local Borough Council.
Derek has confirmed that all of the cars are now priced to sell and that he will accept realistic offers from sympathetic enthusiasts looking to secure themselves one of his remaining stock. The majority of the cars on sale are from his more active stock on the pitch outside and come from the MG Rover stable, although there’s a selection of cars inside which have become classics during their lengthy stays within.
The signage harks back to when Derek J Ketteringham Motors was an Austin Rover dealer and makes a great backdrop for the cars, which include a pair of 1989 Rover 800s, a 1995 Rover 100, Fiat Regata, Vauxhall Cavalier Mk3 2.5 V6, Peugeot 205 CTi, Audi 90 and Vauxhall Carlton Estate. Even the newer, more humdrum MG Rovers can spring the odd surprise – one S-registered 216Si had 16,000 miles on the clock and still smelled new inside.
- See also our profile of Derek J Ketteringham Motors from 2011
Stock list – 24 February 2014
If you’re interested in enquiring about a car, please get in touch first, preferably via the email address, firstname.lastname@example.org – all prices are ‘sympathetically negotiable’, and please allow for the fact that some cars may take a couple of days’ preparation before being ready for viewing.
POLITE NOTICE : Although Derek is most flattered with the affection and fondness received, he has requested if all enquiries could relate to the vehicles themselves for the time being and not for stickers, brochures and point of sale material – Many thanks!
- 1998 (S) Mercedes-Benz C180, Red, 97K miles, £2500
- 1993 (L) Rover 620GSi, blue, 112K miles, £650
- 1996 (P) Rover 416 SLi, 62K miles, £1000
- 1998 (S) Rover 416 Si, silver, 14K miles, £1250
- 1995 (M) Vauxhall Cavalier 2.5 CDX V6 manual, blue, 112K miles, £1000
- 1999 (T) Nissan Micra, Red, 48K miles, £750
- Alfa Romeo 147 2.0, silver, 106K miles, P.O.A
- 1989 (G) Renault 5 1.4, grey, 89K miles, £995
- 1991 (J) Fiat Tipo 1.4 DGT, blue, £595
- 2001 (51) Volkswagen Sharan, blue, 128k miles, £3295
- 1987 (D) Toyota Starlet, red, 163K miles, £800
- 1996 (N) Rover 114 SLi, green, 115K miles, £850
- 1993 (L) Honda Concerto 1.5, blue, £650
- 1991 (H) Audi 90 2.3 Auto, maroon, 63K, £1995
- 2005 (05) Rover 45 1.8, silver, 85K miles, £1250
- 1994 (M) Peugeot 405 LX, red, 66K miles, £1250
- 1996 (P) Rover 620 Si, grey, 80K miles, £1195
- 2002 (02) Rover 75 Club SE V6, 47K miles, £2000
- 1997 (R) Rover 416i, white, 73K miles, £800
- 1999 (V) Rover 416, grey, 96K miles, £950
- 2001 (51) Rover 45 Club, 45K miles, £1495
- 2001 (51) Audi A6 SE, green, 93K miles, £2150
- 2001 (Y) Ford Mondeo 2.0LX, silver, 53K miles, £1650
- 1996 (P) Vauxhall Omega 2.0, green, 146K miles, £595
- 2005 (05) Volkswagen Bora, brown, 13K miles, £6995
- 2001 (51) Alfa Romeo 147 2.0, silver, 100K, £1250
- 1998 (R) Fiat Punto 1.2, blue, 17K miles, £1250
- 2000 (V) Ford Escort Finesse 1.4, grey, 70K miles, £1000
- 1996 (P) Citroen ZX 1.4 SX, green, 110K miles, £1000
- 2005 (05) Hyundai Getz, black, 28K, £4995
- 1998 (R) Ford Fiesta Encore, grey, 70K miles, £995
- 1999 (T) Mitsubishi Space Wagon, £1250
- 2000 (W) Volkswagen Polo 1.4SE, 76K miles, £1650
- 1998 (S) Rover 216 Si, silver, 16K miles, P.O.A
- 2000 (W) Rover 25 1.4, red, 105K miles, £1295
- 1998 (R) Rover 416i, silver, 64K miles, £1150
- 1998 (R) Toyota Corolla, blue, 96K miles, £995
- 1990 (G) Ford Orion1.6L, £650
- 1982 (X) Ford Granada, £500
- 1982 (X) Ford Granada Ghia X, £500
- 1987 (E) Honda Legend, 43K miles, £750
- 1989 (F) Rover 820, silver, 17K miles, P.O.A
- 1991 (H) Rover 820 Si, white, 53K miles, P.O.A
- 1972 Jaguar E-type V12 SIII, P.O.A
- 2002 Rover 45, blue, 78K miles, £1695
- 2000 (X) Rover 75 V6, silver, 46K, £1250
- 2003 Audi A4, grey, 129K miles, £2250
- 1998 (R) Rover 620 GSI, green, 60K, £1250
- 2001 (Y) Rover 45 1.4, silver, 67K miles, £1275
- 1996 (N) Fiat Brava 1.4, grey, 116K miles, £895
- 1985 (C) Austin Metro 1.0 L, red, 5 door, 90K miles, £550
- 1985 (C) Rover 2600 VP, auto, £1000
- 1986 (C) Vauxhall Carlton estate, 58K miles, £1250
Is the Editor of the Parkers website and price guide, formerly editor of Classic Car Weekly, and launch editor/creator of Modern Classics magazine. Has contributed to various motoring titles including Octane, Practical Classics, Evo, Honest John, CAR magazine, Autocar, Pistonheads, Diesel Car, Practical Performance Car, Performance French Car, Car Mechanics, Jaguar World Monthly, MG Enthusiast, Modern MINI, Practical Classics, Fifth Gear Website, Radio 4, and the the Motoring Independent...
Likes 'conditionally challenged' motors and taking them on unfeasible adventures all across Europe.