Leyland Trucks has produced the 125,000th DAF LF at its state-of-the-art factory in Leyland, Lancashire. The vehicle was officially handed over by Ron Augustyn, Managing Director of Leyland Trucks and Ray Ashworth, Managing Director of DAF Trucks Ltd to Calor Gas representatives David Brown, Fleet Asset Manager and Iain Carr, Operations Manager, at a ceremony held recently.
- 125,000th DAF LF produced at the Leyland Trucks factory in Leyland, Lancashire
- Leyland Trucks is a leading UK manufacturing company with an award-winning 60,000 m² factory, 900 staff and a 16,720 m² PACCAR Parts distribution centre
- Highly successful DAF LF is market leader in 7.5 to 18 tonne sector
- Leyland Trucks makes LF for UK and export, plus DAF CF and XF models for UK
- Leyland Trucks is the centre of excellence for light and medium truck development and manufacture for PACCAR Inc. the leading global truck group
This significant production milestone adds to a legendary heritage of truck production and engineering excellence in Leyland dating back to 1896. Today, the award-winning Leyland Trucks factory covers 60,000 m², employs over 900 people and includes a 16,720 m², 24/7 PACCAR Parts distribution centre with 65,000 parts, processing around 5,000 orders a day.
Since it became part of PACCAR Inc, the leading global truck group, in 1998, Leyland Trucks has seen substantial investment and growth to become the worldwide centre for development and manufacture of light and medium-sized trucks for the group with a team of 90 design engineers developing innovative, cost effective and environmentally efficient solutions for today’s truck operators.
The lightweight LF, DAF’s most compact model and the UK’s market leader in the 7.5 to 18 tonnes sector, has been produced by Leyland Trucks since 2001 for the UK market and countries across the world including in Europe, Taiwan, Israel, Russia, Australia and North and South America.
More recently, Leyland Trucks started production of the all-new DAF LF range with economical, efficient four and six-cylinder PACCAR PX engines complying with the latest Euro 6 emissions standard and an attractive new exterior design in line with the DAF CF and XF models. It also has a completely new, high quality interior and dashboard that creates a great working environment for the driver, and its new chassis is completely flat with a new electrical installation to maximise its versatility for bodybuilders to tailor to any application.
At the handover ceremony, Ron Augustyn, Managing Director of Leyland Trucks, said: ‘We are really proud of this production milestone, the efficiency of our factory and the commitment of all our staff who have made Leyland Trucks one of Britain’s most successful manufacturers.”
His sentiments were echoed by Ray Ashworth, Managing Director of DAF UK, who said: ‘I am really proud to have the opportunity to sell trucks which are built in this country, not only the LF, but also the CF and XF, too. Our customers often comment on the benefits that this provides.”
Accepting the keys to the 125,000th DAF LF, David Brown from Calor Gas, the largest distributor of LPG in the UK, said: ‘The DAF LF has proved very reliable and an essential part of our delivery fleet, so we are delighted to have this unique model and can assure you it will soon be working hard delivering gas cylinders and associated products across the UK.”
- Our Cars : Mike’s Rover 75 2.0 KV6 – Old fart with a bright spark - 27 June 2021
- Raise a glass to : 50 years of the Morris Marina - 27 April 2021
- Our Cars : Mike Humble’s Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 - 11 April 2021