Analysis by MoneySupermarket has identified the most popular older cars on Britain’s roads, with Volkswagens dominating the list of the pre-1996 vehicles which are still going strong today. The analysis was gained by looked at 34 million enquiries through MoneySupermarket’s car insurance channel in a 12 month period to the end of March this year.
Veteran vehicles have survived the Labour Government introduced scrappage scheme for cars over ten years of age in 2009, the analysis shows there are still hundreds of thousands of ‘older’ cars on the road. The Volkswagen Beetle tops the list of pre-1980s cars still on the road. The German carmaker also tops the list of top 10 cars from the ’80s, and pre-1996, with the Golf being the most popular car.
Top 10 Surviving Top 10 Surviving Top 10 Surviving early
Pre-1980s cars 1980s cars 1990s cars (Pre-1996)
1. Volkswagen Beetle 1. Volkswagen Golf 1. Volkswagen Golf
2. MGB 2. Austin Rover Mini 2. Nissan Micra
3. Mini 3. Ford Escort 3. Vauxhall Corsa
4. Land Rover 88 4. Land Rover 90 4. Vauxhall Astra
5. Morris Minor 5. Ford Fiesta 5. Ford Fiesta
6. MG Midget 6. Peugeot 205 6. Honda Civic
7. Ford Escort 7. Ford Capri 7. Volkswagen Polo
8. Triumph Spitfire 8. Volkswagen Polo 8. Peugeot 106
9. Triumph Stag 9. Porsche 944 9. Ford Escort
10. Triumph Herald 10. Ford Sierra 10. Land Rover Discovery
The analysis also looked at the most popular tax-free car on the road, those cars registered before 1973, and therefore exempt from vehicle excise duty. The Volkswagen Beetle was again the most popular car with 70 per cent of all classic cars being this model. Still popular was the MGB which accounted for almost 20 per cent of road tax exempt vehicles in the analysis.
Most Popular Tax Free Cars (Pre 1973)
70.30% VW Beetle < £5k
19.30% MG £5k-£13k
4.00% Triumph TR6 £13k-£21k
4.10% Jaguar E-Type £21k-£60k
2.20% Bugatti Type 101 £60k+
Peter Harrison, car insurance expert at MoneySupermarket, said: ‘Britons’ love affair with their classic cars continues, and it seems that although the Government introduced a scrappage scheme to take older cars off the road, many veteran vehicles are still going strong. The Volkswagen Beetle, so popular in the 1970s and ’80s, continues to be the most popular pre-1996 car on the road.’
Is the Editor of the Parkers website and price guide, formerly editor of Classic Car Weekly, and launch editor/creator of Modern Classics magazine. Has contributed to various motoring titles including Octane, Practical Classics, Evo, Honest John, CAR magazine, Autocar, Pistonheads, Diesel Car, Practical Performance Car, Performance French Car, Car Mechanics, Jaguar World Monthly, MG Enthusiast, Modern MINI, Practical Classics, Fifth Gear Website, Radio 4, and the the Motoring Independent...
Likes 'conditionally challenged' motors and taking them on unfeasible adventures all across Europe.
Latest posts by Keith Adams (see all)
- Blog : Rover 75 shown to the world – and torpedoed - 21 October 2018
- Concepts and prototypes : MG Rover RDX60 (2000-2005) - 21 October 2018
- The cars : MGF and TF development story (PR3) - 2 September 2018