British Motor Heritage (BMH) has long since been at the forefront of supplying panels for all marks of classic Minis, and complete bodyshells for models from 1976 onwards. What’s been missing until now is a full replacement shell for the Mk1.
Mini enthusiasts were given a preview on BMH’s stand at the NEC Classic Motor Show last November, and the response was positive. The first production batch of 15 bodies will begin in April, with deliveries occurring through May and June. The launch price is £9950 and the company is accepting orders accompanied by a 25 per cent deposit.
The early body is markedly different from its later counterparts – the major differences are:
- Smaller: door aperture with different step profiles; sliding window doors with external hinges; rear window; rear side windows; rear light mountings
- Different: ‘A’ panels and hinge reinforcements; cant rails; floors; sills; front and rear parcel shelves; switch panel; boot panel, bonnet and inner valences; front valance and number plate mounting
Since creating the prototype body, BMH has commissioned more tooling to refine the finish and improve the build quality. BMH has also used the later front bulkhead crossmember assembly as retooling for this non-visual part would have been prohibitive and opted not to form the rotodip hole in the rear seat squab; recognising that a significant element of demand for the new shells will almost certainly be for historic motor sport.
All enquiries about the new Mk1 Mini shells should be made to [email protected] or +44 (0)1993 707200.
- Announcement : Still working on securing AROnline’s future - 8 December 2023
- The cars : Rover P6 development story - 8 December 2023
- Concepts and prototypes : Hyundai/Rover Oden (1992) - 9 November 2023