Archive : Bulgaria hits back at Rover

Carole Nash Classic Insurance Specialists

THE INDEPENDENT
Russell Hotten

The Bulgarian government yesterday hit back at Rover Group over closure of the country’s sole car maker after the embarrassing failure of a joint venture with the UK company. Roumen Gechev, deputy prime minister, said the project’s demise was because the Rover Maestro cars being produced were uncompetitive and there was no marketing strategy.

He said allegations made last week that bureaucratic obstacles and a lack of government support were behind the collapse of the Rodacar joint venture were untrue. “Claims that the government contributed to Rodacar’s failure are absolutely groundless,” Mr Gechev said, adding that the government had no contractual commitment to buy the Maestros.

Vincent Hammersley, a Rover official, had said that the government’s failure to order Maestros for its own fleet, despite assurances that it would do so, had hit the company. He said last week that the Bulgaria plant would close at the end of May after selling only about 200 of more than 2,000 Maestro vehicles that had been imported for assembly in the country.

Rodacar was launched a year ago when Rover, a division of Germany’s BMW, invested $20m (£13.3m) for a 51 per cent stake. A private Bulgarian consortium, Daru Group, owned the remaining 49 per cent of the venture, which was to be a launch pad into other east European countries. Last month Daru hit financial difficulties, and its banking operation was rescued by the state bank.

Keith Adams

Keith Adams

Editor and creator AROnline at AROnline
Created www.austin-rover.co.uk in 2001 and built it up to become the world's foremost reference source for all things BMC, Leyland and Rover Group, before renaming it AROnline in 2007.

Is the Editor of the Parkers website and price guide, formerly editor of Classic Car Weekly, and launch editor/creator of Modern Classics magazine. Has contributed to various motoring titles including Octane, Practical Classics, Evo, Honest John, CAR magazine, Autocar, Pistonheads, Diesel Car, Practical Performance Car, Performance French Car, Car Mechanics, Jaguar World Monthly, MG Enthusiast, Modern MINI, Practical Classics, Fifth Gear Website, Radio 4, and the the Motoring Independent...

Likes 'conditionally challenged' motors and taking them on unfeasible adventures all across Europe.
Keith Adams

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


WordPress spam blocked by CleanTalk.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.