The cars that form the backbone of AROnline are some of the fastest disappearing motors on British roads. New research into the top British family cars by Honest John Classics reveals that many of UK’s once-popular family cars are on the most endangered.
The Austin Metro is typical. It was once a common sight on British roads and enjoyed celebrity status as Princess Diana’s car when she married Charles in July 1981. It was also the driving school car of choice for BSM, and everyone knew someone who had one – and now, there’s a mere 823 taxed or SORN’d Austin Metros, from an original production run of 1.5 million between 1981-1991.
The Austin Allegro has suffered the largest decline of all, with just 291 remaining in the UK (taxed and SORN) at the end of 2011, from a total production run of 640,000 between 1973 and 1982. The Ford Cortina is another model on the list that may raise a few eyebrows – after all it was Britain’s best-selling car between 1973 and 1980. Many people will know and love the Cortina, because once upon a time, it was the darling of a million sales reps. Just 5411 remain registered in the UK, from more than four million built. Other endangered former street furniture classics include the Ford Sierra and Rover SD1.
The ‘Top 20 Endangered Cars’ research by Honestjohn.co.uk involved examining DVLA records of classic cars (those cars registered between 1950 and 1995) to find out how many were still registered today (both on the road and SORN) compared to the amount originally built. The results are published at AROnline’s sister site, Honest John Classics.
Top 10 fastest disappearing family cars by model
- Austin Allegro 0.05% remaining
- Austin Montego 0.05% remaining
- Princess 0.05% remaining
- Hillman Avenger 0.06% remaining
- Vauxhall Viva 0.07% remaining
- Morris Marina 0.08% remaining
- Austin Maxi 0.08% remaining
- Morris Ital 0.1% remaining
- Rover SD1 0.1% remaining
- Vauxhall VX-Series 0.1% remaining
- Austin Metro 0.1% remaining
- Ford Cortina 0.1% remaining
- MG 1100/1300 0.1% remaining
- Austin Maestro 0.2% remaining
- Vauxhall Chevette 0.2% remaining
- Austin Ambassador 0.2% remaining
- Hillman Imp 0.2% remaining
- Rover 200 0.3% remaining
- Triumph Acclaim 0.4% remaining
- Ford Sierra 0.4% remaining