To say that progress has been good on the Rover 75 DVD project would best be described as an understatement. Since our last update, filming has taken place in Essex, Hampshire and leafy Sussex – and that’s just so far. We have captured the thoughts and wisdom of some very important folk in the R40 world, and some of them at decision-making and Director-level too.
John Clancy and I have been truly knocked back and chuffed at the quality of that input so far. For those who have been happy to have a camera and microphone shoved under their noses, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. What started out as a germ of an idea during a conversation in the rain has truly taken shape into something much bigger and better that we initially thought.
Trying not to give too much away, here’s just a handful who have given their time so far:
- Peter Morgan: Rover Group R40 Project Director
- Ron Brown: Rover Design Engineer
- Denis Chick: Rover Director of Product Communications
- Kevin Jones: MG Rover Product Manager
- Rob Oldaker: MG Rover Director of Product Development
- Ian Pogson: MG Rover Engine Development Engineer
- Martyn Knowles: Editor of Car Mechanics magazine
There are, of course, many more we could mention – and more to come, but for now you’ll just have to be patient and wait. What we can tell you is that it’s rapidly becoming a very high quality product that seems to be more of a joy than a nightmare to piece together. There’s going to be production footage, aerial shots, in-car commentary, owner interviews and anecdotes too.
If you are a proper R40 nerd, an enthusiastic owner or just a fan of the model, we promise there will be something for everyone. It’s been agreed that yours truly will be doing the introduction and narration throughout the feature. I’m a little apprehensive about that, but as the late Mr Norden once said…
‘It’ll be alright – on the night!’
We’ll keep you updated about future developments.
- Essays : Selling the brand - 18 November 2023
- Review : Land Rover Discovery – first off the line - 15 September 2023
- Events : Leyland National 51 gathering, Whitehaven 29-30 April - 5 April 2023