It’s that time of the year again, so we’re looking back at the Top 10 most popular stories on AROnline in 2017 according to Google Analytics data.
This year, we’re breaking the charts up into categories, so you can see just what news is clicking, as well as the most popular BMC>MGR cars that you like to read about…
AROnline Trends in 2017
What’s interesting is that, as we scaled back on our news coverage in 2017, to concentrate on the core of the site – development stories, concepts and archive material – the audience figures actually improved in the second half of 2017. After a long and gradual decline in our readership since 2014, strong growth has returned to AROnline, with around 180,000-220,000 readers visiting us in a typical month.
The reason for this decline in readership can be put firmly at the door of a change in your behaviour. With Facebook consuming so much of people’s time online, fewer of you have been leaving the blue site and heading towards specialist websites such as this.
There’s also been a drop in engagement on AROnline, with commenting rates down, and the forum now inactive through lack of interest. However, despite this, the number of you visiting AROnline and reading the longer stories is on the up, with strong improvements since August, which ties in pretty much with the site’s relaunch into Mk5 form, and more focus on SEO.
Anyway, thank you so much for supporting AROnline and here’s to more of the same in 2018!
Top 10 development stories in 2017
- MINI development story
- Princess/Ambassador development story
- Mini development story
- Rover 75/MG ZT development story
- Ford Granada development story
- Vauxhall Viva development story
- Austin Maxi development story
- Vauxhall Cavalier Mk2 development story
- Ford Sierra development story
- BMC 1800/2200 development story
So, do you love MINIs more than Minis? Probably not, although more people came to AROnline to read about the new one than the classic. Perhaps that’s a reflection of the fact that the ‘new’ car now has classic status of its own?
Top 10 news and blogs in 2017
- Blog : Should MG Rover have been bailed out in 2005?
- News : Vanden Plas 1800 prototype stars at NEC show
- Blog : So, what did Honda get from Rover…?
- Blog : Why JLR could do wonders with Vauxhall…
- Blog : Project Vinland – an employee’s perspective
- Archive : 37 years ago – BL workers sleeping on the job
- Blog : MG – which direction for the future?
- Blog : The 200,000-mile MG6 taxicab
- News : BMH launches Mk1 Mini bodyshells
- History : All at sea for the miniMetro launch…
You still love a good yarn, and a counter-factual history piece. The ‘what if’ is still as popular as ever, which goes hand-in-hand with a good old conspiracy theory.
Top 10 history, archive and concept car stories
- Engines : Rover V8
- In-house designs : Rover 35 (R30)
- People : The Harold Musgrove Interview
- Best of British : Gardner 6LX diesel engine
- Essay : K-Series – what makes it tick?
- Concepts and prototypes : Vauxhall Scamp
- Concepts and prototypes : Metro saloon
- Features : Urban myths and old wives’ tales
- History : British Leyland, the grand illusion – Part One
- History : BMC/BL/Rover Timeline – 1952 to 2005
I’m always looking for suggested topics to cover on AROnline, as well as contributions from people who have a tale to tell – be it as an enthusiast, or someone with an inside perspective. Every last piece of information makes the story we’re telling even richer.
Is the Editor of the Parkers website and price guide, formerly editor of Classic Car Weekly, and launch editor/creator of Modern Classics magazine. Has contributed to various motoring titles including Octane, Practical Classics, Evo, Honest John, CAR magazine, Autocar, Pistonheads, Diesel Car, Practical Performance Car, Performance French Car, Car Mechanics, Jaguar World Monthly, MG Enthusiast, Modern MINI, Practical Classics, Fifth Gear Website, Radio 4, and the the Motoring Independent...
Likes 'conditionally challenged' motors and taking them on unfeasible adventures all across Europe.
Latest posts by Keith Adams (see all)
- The cars : Austin Montego (LM11) development story - 14 December 2018
- The cars : Austin Maestro (LC10) development story - 14 December 2018
- The cars : Austin Metro (LC8) development story - 14 December 2018