It’s that time of the year again, so we’re looking back at the Top 10 most popular stories on AROnline in 2020 according to Google Analytics data.
As we’ve done previously, we’re breaking the charts up into categories, so you can see just what news is clicking, as well as the most popular BMC>MGR cars that you like to read about.
AROnline Trends in 2020
Reflecting the fact that so many people stayed at home in 2020, the readership figures looked pretty good for AROnline throughout the year. But there’s been a general downward trend over time, and what this year has shown is that if there are new and interesting stories, you’re keen to read them.
The reason for this long-term decline in readership lies at the door of a change in your behaviour. With Facebook continuing to take up so much of people’s time online, fewer of you have been leaving it and heading towards specialist websites such as this. That’s okay, because it means I have to keep producing new and interesting stories – as the success of the Memories series so clearly demonstrates.
There’s also been a drop in engagement on AROnline, with commenting rates down, but we have our brilliant regulars, who keep things lively and interesting. This doesn’t reflect falling reader numbers, but perhaps reflects that people are less willing to comment than they used to be. Interesting… Still, there are still lots and lots of you visiting AROnline – around 1.6 million uniques in 2020 – and I for one would like to thank each and every one of you for visiting, and giving me a reason to stay sane in these crazy times.
Top 10 development stories in 2020
- Rover SD1 development story
- Austin Maxi development story
- Jaguar X-Type development story
- Austin Allegro development story
- Jaguar XJ (X350) development story
- Range Rover (P38) development story
- MINI (R50) development story
- Austin Ambassador development story
- Austin Metro development story
- Austin Maestro development story
The Rover SD1 continues to pull in the readers in 2020, and that’s despite us not updating this story significantly… proof that BL’s controversial executive fastback still has a myriad of admirers. Jaguar’s done well this year, too, as has Range Rover – a shape of things to come?
Top 10 opinion pieces and blogs in 2020
- Opinion : MG Rover – How many left?
- Opinion: Austin Allegro hatchback
- Opinion: Did Mini cars mean mini profits?
- Opinion: Rover’s return?
- Opinion: Morris Marina door handles
- Opinion: Radio 4 – the Reunion
- Opinion: De-scolloping the Maestro
- Essay: The bottom line
- Opinion: 20 years of MG Rover
- Opinion: The strip-speedo years
It looks like the scars of the MG Rover debacle still run deep after all these years…
Top 10 history, archive and concept car stories
- Engines: K-Series
- Engines: A-Series
- BMC>JLR timeline
- History: British Leyland – the grand illusion
- Concepts and prototypes: Rover P8
- Buses: Gardner 6LX diesel engine
- Essay: Austin Maestro styling
- Concepts and prototypes: Talbot Arizona
- Concepts and prototypes: Rover 425 KV6
- The cars: Metro-based Maleo
I’m always looking for suggested topics to cover on AROnline, as well as contributions from people who have a tale to tell – be it as an enthusiast, or someone with an inside perspective. Every last piece of information makes the story we’re telling even richer.